Saturday, April 14, 2012

Our New Baby Guineas



 Tick season is upon us and with the mild winter we had, it's going to be worse than ever. 

We simply don't like ticks here... they carry of sorts of diseases and they can harm your animals. I got a tick bite last year and it made a bulls eye and I ran to the doctor. 
So to battle the problem this year, I bought 30 baby guineas. You see, guineas love to eat ticks.
What's so cute about these sweet little creatures is that they came in the mail 3 days after they hatched.

 
 
They were cold when they arrived and so we had to warm them up. Notice.. there are only 28 chicks. Two left to be in heaven, they didn't make the trip. But I'll see them again some day when l go to the other side (heaven).
Aren't they most precious thing you've ever seen. I want to name them, but they don't hold still long enough for me to do that.

We had to warm them up real quick so we wouldn't lose any more. This particular morning it was around 50'  and they need 95'.
After they were fed and watered with their special vitamin water... I noticed they started dropping like flies. I thought they were dying, so I hurried and called the hatchery and they told me that they were falling asleep. So I guess they got their little tummies full, drank water and had a warm heat lamp and then it was over for them. They first would sit still, start closing their eyes, then start to sway back and forth and then they collasped (to sleep). 
 My Daughter keeps reminding me that they wouldn't always be so cute when they get older.

But they will always be cute to me,
Java Guinea Girl

No comments:

Post a Comment