Saturday, August 7, 2010

Ride Of My Life!

Friday was my very first day to finally ride my mustang Kiele. He's now been with my Amish friend Levi and it's now been 6 weeks. Levi is amazing and the gentle but firm way he breaks these horses is incredible.

Here I am below getting on Kiele.... and if you remember.. I had foot surgery in April and my foot is still healing. So I tried to get on him from this tree stump.

But it didn't work, I couldn't bounce off my bad foot.

So then I asked Levi if I could get on from the porch.... he looked at me for a second and then said, "Well let's try it and see then."

It worked! And Kiele didn't flinch a bit.

And I'll be completely honest that I was so scared of getting on Kiele because I remember the day he arrived at our farm all wild and charging me, but I also wanted to ride him more than anything. And so I confessed to Levi how I felt... and in his Levi sort of way he said, "We'll see what happens." Which again didn't help me one bit because I wanted him to tell me it was going to be alright and nothing bad would happen.

And what was the first thing Kiele did... he took me over to the stump where Levi has trained him to pose.


After a moment I said, "Back, Kiele." and he in his gentlemanly way, slowly backed up.


And it's hard to imagine that his first two years were in the wilds of Nevada and in six short weeks I'm able to ride him... and he has this beautiful way of carrying himself with the arched neck and high front legs which surprisingly came out during training.

I'm so happy here that I don't believe I could explain it.


And then Daughter #1 wanted to give it a try and he took great care of my girl.

What can I say, I feel so blessed but at times I'm scared of what the Lord asks me to do. Like when I got these horses. And now the blessings and learning have been one of the most incredible experiences I've ever witnessed.

And one other thing... I'm blessed with an adventurous Amish man for taking on this crazy old Java Girl and running along side of me and teaching me what it is to not only own a horse, but how to own a wild horse and enjoy and respect them for how God created them.

Praise the Lord,
Java Girl

2 comments:

  1. WHAT A BEAUTIFUL DAY YOU HAD WITH THIS BEAUTIFUL CREATURE ..... YOU AND YOUR DAUGHTER APPEAR TO BE REALLY AT EASE WITH MUSTANG..... SPEAKING OF WILD HORSES JUST THIS PAST WEEK MY HUSBAND AND I AND MY SON AND HIS FUTURE WIFE SPENT TIME IN OCEAN CITY MARYLAND AND WENT TO ASSATIQUE ( I DID NOT SPELL THAT CORRECT ) ISLAND AND WE WATCHED IN AWE AS THE WILD HORSES ROAMED THIS PROTECTED LAND ..... WE ALSO SPENT TIME ON THE BEACH THERE IT IS VERY VERY CLEAN AND SOOTHING TO THE SOUL ..... HAVE A GREAT DAY AND KEEP RIDING

    ReplyDelete
  2. We've visited that area too!! They round up some of the wild horses and auction them off. And they call the cowboys that round them up "Salt Water Cowboys."

    I enjoy your friendship.

    ReplyDelete