Thursday, April 15, 2010

Some Of The Rest Of The Story

So after the arrival of our three furry friends... we loaded them into the barn and I was instructed by the Directors of the adoption center to "Let them stay in the barn tonight, then let them out in the morning." As my daughters and I finished up talking to the couple, they walked away saying "Once you gain their trust, there will be nothing you can't do with them!" And then this horse neighing and kicking started in the barn and they stopped and helped us place an extra fence in front of the barn door. It was completely overwhelming at this point.... I thought What in the world have I gone and done.... I must be completely insane, why didn't God stop me!

But there's one thing that kept sticking in my head about these horses... is that they've never been around humans and that they don't have hang ups. And I have to admit that I have friends who have horses and there are a few that I don't trust. They're moody, unpredictable and flightly. So the setting of just going out to the pasture and gaining Trust was the selling point for me. This also made sense to me because I was raised with horses and I was taught to watch the instinctual side of them, from my Grandfather. I don't know all the tackle verbage... but I understand the dynamics.

So the next morning after walking our dogs and having a big talk with my Maker/God. I headed back to the barn to let the horses out. I opened the door, they were in the corner which is common for these horses, because of their flight response. They're not aggressive. They looked and looked, became nervous, calmed down and then made this beautiful flight out of the barn and galloped around the pasture. After checking their perimeters, they dropped their heads and started eating the grass.

I was reminded by the director that these horses won't lay down or come up to us for three to four days and that Horse People don't usually do well with these horses because they expect too much from them too soon. But I'll have you know that they laid down that afternoon and by the next day they were eating out of my daughters hands. And the whole experience is so peaceful.

But don't think that it was all rosy. That morning I felt like I had made the biggest mistake and I called the Director two times to share my agony of biting off more than I could handle. Now mind you, the horses are completely happy... it was me having the problem. So the Director laughed and said, "Give it three days and if you want to return them... I'll come down and pick them up. But just get your girls out there and see what happens."

To be continued, where I'll tell you how I told my husband.
Java Girl

No comments:

Post a Comment