Sunday, March 21, 2010

Barbie


In a world that puts so much emphasis on looks and shapes.... we tend to forget about one's character and when I think about character from my childhood, I remember Barbie.

Barbie was my next door neighbor when I was a little girl. Her Dad was a doctor and once in awhile he and his wife would take a trip and they would ask my Mom to house and kid/teenager sit. Now Barbie was the youngest of five kids and I always remember her clearly because everything she did and said spoke volumes to me. You see she was Down Syndrome, she was always active, always planning and always having fun. And for me... the queen of misfits, we were the perfect match.

For example, she could steal cookies like a stealthy ninja and make the whole adventure seem too much fun for one little eight year old to handle. Another time she started to drown my sister in her family pool by holding her down under the water and then within seconds of me trying to reason with her that she was hurting my sister, she then saved my sister from her imminent peril.

And her signature hand gesture was the peace sign.

After looking at this picture closely, with me toothless... is my sister in the very front with her face cut in half. And I'm a little troubled by her bangs, it looks like she cut them herself... which was highly likely seeing that our Mom had a Beauty Shop in the back room of our house. To the left of me is Barbie, then Tommy her brother, then Maureen (behind Tommy) and Mary (one of the twins).

So my challenge to you today is to recall someone who's character made you stop and take note.

Gotta go call my sister and tease her about her bangs in 1973,
Java Girl

1 comment:

  1. I AHVE A FRIEND KATHY WHO IS STEADFAST TO HER FAITH IN THE LORD JESUS..... SHE HAS BEEN THROUGH SOME STRUGGLES IN HER LIFE AND HAS LEARNED TO ALWAYS TRUST IN THE LORD NO MATTER WHAT IS GOING ON ( GOOD OR BAD ) ..... SHE IS AN EXAMPLE OF A TRUE CHRISTIAN SISTER IN CHRIST..... I THANK THE LORD FOR HER DAILY WHEN I PRAY ...... GOOD POST : )

    ReplyDelete