Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Things I've Learned as a Homeschooler - Part 2

As life goes we have had some challenges, first of all we found out that I had cancer and I'll admit we didn't get a lot of school done, but what I believe our girls learned is that life happens and that's where you learn to be there for each other. They cooked, cleaned and helped me through some of the hardest months of my life. And I'll never forget how grateful I was to have them. They learned compassion, that everyone must die one day, that healing takes time, that their help was so vital to our family's well being. And I'm happy to say that I'm cancer free.

Then came my oldest daughter's turn to be taken care of. And we did school when we could and we were busy going back and forth to doctors and that's when my youngest stepped up. Thank goodness she's a self learner because there were days that that was the only way she was going to learn anything. And with even all we had on our plate... my girls both did very well on their testing each and every year!

We have put a huge focus on Life Skills. We've learned that they can learn all they want, but if they don't know how to balance a check book or only buy what you can afford, then my husband and I have failed. Home schooling is this huge spectrum and you have to try to give your kids a whole well rounded vat of knowledge to make it in this world.

And my blessings have been unending... I have two beautiful, intelligent, Godly, critical thinking, strong minded daughters. They know they're loved and they don't look to the outside world for their value. At 19 and 17 they have never been on a date... and that's O.K. because they want to save themselves for Mr. Right.

It's funny, when they were little they needed my physical help (bathing, feeding)... but now that their young women they need our listening ear and counsel and watching them make good decisions is so rewarding.

If I had it to do over again, I wouldn't change a thing and I would tell all of you out there that the worst day of homeschooling is still the best day when it's spent in the company of family.

Take it one day at a time,
Java Girl

1 comment:

  1. Great writing, you say much with so few words.

    ReplyDelete