Tuesday, June 23, 2009

XYZ Club

When my sister and I were little we would spend summers and holidays with our Grandparents in Michigan. They were always involved and ready to talk, play or listen anytime we wanted. Now this always surprised me with my Grandma because she was by nature a very grouchy old women, there's no other way to put it. But she liked my sister and I.

My Grandparents were always involved with their little Methodist Church and they especially liked XYZ Club. It was basically a club for old people to get together, eat and talk about stuff. They usually had entertainment of some sort also. So as you can imagine my Grandpa got a wild hair to teach my sister and I a song to sing at XYZ Club.... he went on about how everyone will love to hear two little girls sing. I remember him teaching us the M-O-T-H-E-R song for Mother's Day, you know the song, M is for the million things she gave me... anyways as my sister and I stood on the piano bench and sang our hearts out for our sea of XYZ clubbers... I just couldn't get over how old they were I mean really old and I couldn't believe all the hearing aids I saw. But anyways.....they loved us, we were a hit! They even welcomed us back to sing again, even years later.

So me being the curious one started wondering what XYZ meant... I whispered in my sisters ear and asked her (she was about 8 and I was 10) and she said she thought it was because the people in the club were at the end of their life, just like the end of the alphabet!! I thought to myself that makes sense. But still being curious I asked my Grandpa and if you've read some of my other posts you'll know he was a jokester. I asked,"Grandpa what does XYZ stand for?" He looked at me for a minute and then said,"It stands for.. examine your zipper." And suddenly it all made sense to me because they had dragged me to enough nursing homes for me to know.

Now that I'm older I appreciate the humor that he brought to my life! I didn't know any different then, but now it seems as though humor is a lost art. Simpler days with less distractions and more time for people and just sitting, listening and enjoying others.

Until tomorrow,
Java Girl

No comments:

Post a Comment