Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Recipe Sharing can be a Combat Sport


I don't know about you but I believe that if you have a good recipe you should absolutely share it. No if's and's or but's. First of all I think really good recipes are hard to come by and if you eat something that absolutely sends your taste buds crazy, then you should be able to get that recipe. Right?

Now I had heard from friends and family members who had asked for a recipe and were turned down. And I just couldn't believe that... but then it actually happen to me about two years ago and when the person replied to me by saying, "I can't give that to you, it's a secret." I was absolutely stunned... it stopped me in my tracks. Then I felt bad like I had asked a question that should have never been asked. In my mind I can't fathom that any recipe is worth denying to anyone!! I mean lets put things in perspective, there are wars, famines, floods, earthquakes, abuse, lying, cheating and a whole other array of serious matters, but recipe sharing shouldn't be anywhere near a restrictive practice.

So you may be wondering what recipe it was and I'll tell you, in fact I'm going to give it to you and along with that recipe... I'm going to give you one of my favorite family recipes!! Take that, all you top secret recipe horders! The recipe I asked for was this delicious hot cocoa mix that is like a whip. So all you do is place the refrigerated whip into your cup and add hot water. It's fabulous! Now you're wondering how I got it, well... while looking through a Amish recipe book one day I found it!!!! And it was even better then the one I tasted before, probably because it has a touch of cinnamon. Enjoy!!

Hot Cocoa Mix
2 cup of carnation dry milk
1 cup cocoa powder
2 cups coffee cream (liquid)
1 cup powdered sugar
1 jar (13 oz) marshmellow creme
1 tsp. cinnamon

Whip all ingredients and store in glass container, can also be frozen. When ready to serve add 1/4 cup of mixture to 1 cup of hot water. And for a mocha add 1 tsp of instant coffee.



My cultural back ground is Dutch and to my surprise when visiting my Aunt Joyce she had these cookies waiting on the counter when I arrived and I just couldn't stop eating them. They have the perfect "sweet" and "salty" that make them so great! This recipe came from my Great Aunt Della!

Aunt Della's Old Fashion Molasses Ginger Cookies
3/4 cups shortening
1 cup sugar
1/2 tsp cinnamon
4 Tbsp. molasses
1 egg, beaten
1 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp ground cloves
2 tsp. baking soda
1/4 tsp. ginger
2 cups flour

Cream sugar and shortening, add egg and molasses and beat. Add salt, soda, cinnamon, ginger, and cloves until well blended. Add flour until well mixed. Form into balls and roll in sugar, place on ungreased cookie sheet. Bake in 350" over for 12-15 minutes.

Hope your day is great!!
Java Girl


No comments:

Post a Comment