Thursday, June 11, 2009

Oh What a Tangled Web we Weave....

There's not a whole lot going on at our house so I thought I would tell you a story about my BFF from my childhood. Her name is Melissa.

Melissa and I had two passions when we were little, first we loved singing and performing dance moves and the other love was ice skating. Now to give you a little background... we lived in Michigan and usually had pretty cold and snowy winters. We had one favorite place to skate, which my family called "Cow Poo Lake" which to say was only really a pond. So now I want you to use your imagination and figure out why we named it that, it won't be hard, here I'll give you a couple minutes......

So this is how it played out, Melissa or I would call each other and make our plans to meet up. Then we had the concern about Fird the neighborhood mean dog and how we were going to get past him. It was always very stressful and once we got past him there was still the worry that he would spot us and come after us.

But anyways this certain day Melissa and I had made it safe to Cow Poo Lake and I had been instructed by my Mom to not take off her Down Filled Jacket that she was letting me wear... she said it was too cold and that she didn't want anything to happen to that coat! So as Melissa and I skated around in our skate glory, I started to get hot. And yes you guessed it, I took off the coat. We continued to skate and then decided to play tag and were in our 10 yr. old bliss, when it finally happened. Till this day it still send shivers down my spine... I SKATED OVER MY MOM'S DOWN JACKET!!! It was horrible, feathers everywhere and this huge rip that could never be repaired without noticing. Melissa and I basically freaked out at this point because we knew that my Mom was going to be furious.... so we started to devise a story and as we were brainstorming we finally came up with the story that... I had the jacket on and Melissa skated over me! It sounded good to us and there might even be a "Oh, are you hurt?" factor which could be to our advantage.
Now you can just imagine the look on my Mom's face when I told her. She just stared for a moment as Melissa and I braced ourselves for the worst. But my Mom just looked at us and started to laugh until she cried. We couldn't tell if we were off the hook or not, so we waited until she settled down. We still weren't sure if we were out of the clear. When she finally recovered she told us, "With a story like that, how can I be mad?".

I still think so often of ice skating with my dear friend and all the hot cocoa we consumed and the cookies, Melissa's Mom was the best baker. Sometimes I wish I could go back to the way it use to be, more simple, less distractions and a little bit of adventure.

I hope you think on something memorable from your childhood today.

God Bless,
Java Girl

2 comments:

  1. That is one of the best stories! But as I remember, it was a brownish coat and your mom put red bandana patches on it??? Is that right? Or am I just dreaming??? This is awesome that you have a blog, I can't wait to put you on my blog!!!! You're awesome Nanc! I love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, you are right!! But I couldn't find a picture of a brown down coat on the web. And I forgot about the red bandana patches!! What a great memory you have. I have lots more stories about you and I and our adventures. Love ya Melissa...your the best!

    ReplyDelete