Friday, June 19, 2009

Military Style


About 3 years ago I had to take my oldest to Phoenix for medical reasons and so that left Hubby and my youngest home alone. Now when I say Home Alone it's more in regards to Daughter #2 and not Hubby.... I should word it that Daughter #2 was Home Alone with her Daddy.

Now I feel I need to give you some back ground on my husband:
  1. First he's been in the military for 25 yrs and still likes it, in fact he doesn't know what he wants to do when he does HAS to retire.
  2. His favorite color is that yucky green mossy color (I can't get him to wear anything else) and if he does feel like venturing out he wears black or gray (wow big change! that's the whole spectrum of camouflage).
  3. He thinks every human being on the planet should rise at least by 6:00 am.
  4. Hydrating (consuming water) is the most vital for mental, physical and spiritual well being.
  5. You should never give an excuse for anything.
Shortly after Daughter #1 and I left Alaska for Arizona, I became a little worried. You see a while back I left both girls (age 7 and 4) with hubby and he turned our home into a Mini Boot Camp. No lie... he had the girls running 1 mile a day on the treadmill and serving them MRE's (military freeze dried food) among other things and when one of the girls birthday presented itself, he served Ding Dongs instead of cake. They still remember that birthday as being the most fun!


But again I was worried and as days turned into weeks that we had to be gone, I noticed that Daughter #2 sounded different to me when we talked on the phone. She was losing her humor and I became concerned knowing my husbands track record. I asked her, "Are you and Daddy having fun?" She said, "Not really." I then asked, "Well what have you been doing?" She said, "Hauling wood, Daddy said he wanted to heat the house with the wood stove and no furnace." I thought to myself... You've got to be kidding me!! And then my little sweetie said, "I feel like I'm Laura on The Little House on the Prairie, cause all I do is haul wood." Then my little one said, "Daddy also makes me drink one gallon of water a day, he filled up an old milk jug and then put a sticker on it which says.. HYDRATE OR DIE.

Ok, you are probably guessing right now what I did next.... Yes, I called Hubby on the phone. I knew that we had to get to the bottom of this. The phone rang and he answered and I said, "Hi Honey, how are you doing?" He said, "Fine, how are you?" I said, "Good!". Then I asked him if he was having fun with Daughter #2 and he said, "Oh yes, we're having a great time!" Interesting... I though, what he thinks is fun... everyone else thinks is work!! I then went on to brief him on what the human race normally does for fun. I suggested getting a video or DVD to watch, going out for dinner and he seemed open to it, but it definitely wasn't his first choice of fun things to do. I told him that I wanted Daughter #2 relatively normal when I returned. And the furnace thing was out of control and it was February in Alaska! So as I laid my requests at his feet, we then ended our conversation.

You'll be happy to hear that it only took Daughter #2 about two weeks to recover after my arrival. And also the minute I came in the house my Hubby wanted me to feel how warm it was in the basement where the wood stove was. I said, "Sorry buster, the furnace is going on right now!" We need to live in the other parts of the house also.

What's so great is that now that our daughters are older they can recall almost every moment with their Daddy, when mom had left them Home Alone with no civilian in sight!

Make sure you hug your military man or women today.

See ya later,
Java Girl

3 comments:

  1. Great story your husband sounds like he needs some help his wardrobe. But as I recall they had ding dongs for birthday cake.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my goodness, you are right!! it was Ding Dongs instead of Twinkies. My Bad!

    ReplyDelete